I love this statement. Simple and true. But hard to implement.
By nature, we crave inclusion, acceptance and community. One way to achieve it is by conforming to like-minded souls in our midst. Whether that be fashion or shared thoughts and ideas. We feel part of something. We belong.
But to be a success in business we need to stand out from the crowd. Not follow the herd. To think our own thoughts. To see things our own way.
We need strength especially when what we see is so different to those around us. The latest buzz word around this is to be a disruptor…but these days everyone around me claims to be a “disruptor” but it is now more a badge of honour or a fashion statement than reality.
It reminds me of the great line from Monty Python’s Life of Brian, where a leader is addressing a large crow saying “You are all individuals”.
The crowd responds: “We are all individuals”.
One soul responds: “I’m not”…. pure genius.
So are you saying that you are a disruptor and an individual or are you just saying it because everyone else is?
I am no angel when it comes to this…there have been many times I have caught myself in the thick of a herd but I try to remain as authentic and true to myself where possible. Here are some tips that I have found useful to keep that going:
- Self-awareness. That old chestnut…well yes. Staying aware of yourself, of the people around you and the interaction between the two allows you to keep yourself in check. A big part of this is emotional intelligence.
- Mindfulness. This flows on from self-awareness but brings us back to the present…no reflection on the past or gazing into the future…mindfulness stills the mind and allows you to focus on what is important right now. It brings focus and peace into our day.
- Conscious Living. This brings together the first 2 points…it’s the active nature of living. Challenging what is in front of you and not just accepting it. Being curious and questioning. Asking why?
- Be strong. It can be hard to go against the herd. To stand out. To be different. But remember, why are you doing it? be true to yourself, and what you believe in.
- Believe in yourself. If you don’t, who will? When faced with rejection after rejection and a bucket load of disappointments…you need to dig deep. It is hard to be a trail blazer and be different.
After all, what makes the biggest difference in our business is our uniqueness that we bring to market and that needs to start with you. What is your special gift that you can share with the world?
Did you like what you read? Please share this with your people.
I would like to give you back an hour per day via my Time Saving Tool Kit. Click here to collect your free kit.